- 500gms Greenshell™ Mussels – half shell (Meat diced – shells retained for serving)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 stalks Celery stalks, very finely chopped
- 2/3 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 2 2/3 cups Dry white Bread Crumbs 1/4 cup fresh Chives – chopped 2 tablespoons fresh Parsley – chopped
- 6 tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
Makes 20 canapés
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion, saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in mussels, 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, chopped chives, parsley and mayonnaise. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Mix very gently so not to crush all the mussels. Using around 1/3 cup mixture for each cake, form into twelve 2 1/2 inch diameter cakes. Arrange cakes on baking sheet. Chill for at least one hour. Chef’s Note: The mussel cakes (up to this point) and the mayonnaise can all be made one day ahead of when required. Place flour in small bowl. Whisk eggs to blend in another small bowl. Place remaining 2 cups bread crumbs in medium bowl. Coat each cake with flour. Dip into beaten egg, then into breadcrumbs, coating completely. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat.Chef’s Note: Be sure the oil and skillet are hot when you add the mussel cakes or food may stick. Avoid the temptation to flip too soon, before they have a chance to set somewhat and obtain some structure. Add cakes in batches, cook until golden brown and heated through, adding more oil as necessary, about 5 minutes per side.
• Serve the mussel cakes with a flavored mayonnaise of your choice.